Buying a used car in Kenai Peninsula Alaska is nothing like it once was. Today, shoppers go about searching in a different way and the traditional way of advertising no longer cuts it. FSBO cars in Kenai Peninsula are found almost exclusively on the Craigslist website. There are several reasons why this is the case but for now we are going to focus on the cars and 4×4 trucks that are available at a reasonable price of say $3000 or less.
With the harsh winter weather that Alaska faces several months out of the year, 4 wheel drive cars and truck are are in very high demand. For this reason, there is no shortage of these vehicles that can be found on Craigslist. Choosing a car that meets your needs is the single most important consideration that you should keep in mind when shopping for a used car. If you are unfamiliar with the used car buying process then you will want to familiarize yourself with some key information before heading out to go shopping. Here are a few pointers that residents of Kenai Peninsula should keep in mind when shopping for a car.
- Road salt can really damage a vehicles frame, body and other key components. This is something that one should closely examine before buying a car. Place the car on a lift and carefully examine the underside of the car. Most cars in this area were treated with an undercoating to help prevent rust but this only works for a short period of time.
- Think before you buy. Consider the time of year you plan to drive the vehicle you are interested in buying. If you need a truck to haul mulch and similar gardening materials then a 2wd will work. If you need the truck for the winter months a 4wd is a necessity.
- Watch out for salvage and flood titles. These turn up from time to time and only an experienced car buyer should attempt to purchase one of these. There could be underlying issues that will come back later to haunt you.
- Look for a low mileage used car as these can be the best value. High mileage used cars can also be a great choice if it was well maintained. Ask the seller if they can provide any maintenance records if the vehicle is old. A well maintained car can last much longer than one that has never had the oil changed.
Cars and 4WD trucks on Craigslist
2001 Dodge Ram Pickup truck 1500 $4,500
Looking for a nice 2wd truck? This 01 Dodge ram 1500 series truck is sharp and ready to roll. Has quite a few aftermarket accessories including a premium sound system and python remote start for those cold Alaska winter mornings. It also has some nice stereo equipment thrown in at no extra charge.
Looking good in black, this Dodge has got the Hemi! 5.9L V8 engine with the automatic transmission. Has all the power features and quality that you would expect from a Dodge. Best of all, this truck only has 125k miles on it and will have many more to come. This truck in Kenai is being sold for $4,500 or best offer. Make the seller an offer for a couple hundred dollars less than the asking price and they will likely take it.
1989 Dodge Ram Charger 1500 $3250
Here’s a rare one. 89′ Ram with absolutely no rust. A 25 year old truck in Alaska with no rust? This could be a great deal for someone. This Charger has recently been tuned up with new plugs, wires, air filter etc. It is fuel injected, not carbureted so that’s a plus. The 4wd feature will get you to the places that you need to go in the winter time.
The owner says that it has a dent or two but this should be expected for a vehicle that is this age. Overall a great looking truck that is ready roll. It has even had the transmission recently serviced. The owner Jeff is looking for $3250 but is also looking for an ATV so if you have one, you may be able to trade.
1989 Subaru Wagon $1600
This car has a modest 1.8 L 4 banger with a 5 speed manual transmission. Has lots of new parts including a battery and alternator. She may not be a beauty but for this price, you cant beat the gas mileage and 4wd features that it offers. Located in Kenai Homer area.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited $3000
Here’s a sharp 98′ Cherokee that has all that you would come to expect from a jeep. It has a few minor problems but nothing that can’t be fixed with a little bit of cash and extra time. Has a functioning AC and heat system which is great. This ride come with all terrain tires and all the power features.
The owner is looking for a 2500 series 4wd truck to trade or will gladly accept cash. Pick up this deal in Nikiski Alaska.
Cars less than $1000
You may be on a budget and need a ride for under a grand. There are quite a few of these cars also listed but they may need a little bit of work. If you are mechanically inclined and want to save a lot of money, this may be the best route for you. There are cars ready to drive in this price range but they only come around once and a while. Search for cars under a grand using the search box at the top of craigslist to narrow down the search results. I like to enter a price range of 500 – 1000 and this should pick up all the available cars within this range.
Also, check outside the area to increase the number of search results. Here are a few cars that you may want to consider.
- 1997 Ford ranger
- 1995 Ford Bronco
- 1994 Dodge Interpid
- 1995 Toyota 4runner
- 1987 dodge ram
- 1997 dodge dakota
- 1993 Gmc pickup truck
- 1987 ram 50 series
- 1993 Ford explorer
- 2001 Kia Senoda
- 1981 GMC truck
- 1987 Ford f-150
- 1992 Chevy Silverado 1500