Buying a used car is something that millions of people do worldwide each year. Craigslist has quickly become one of the largest sources for used vehicles. One question that inquiring minds would like to know is if it is save to buy a used car on craigslist. Since the word “safe” can take on a couple different meanings, I will address both a couple different meanings of the word safe.
Safely Buying a Used Car
Safety, in terms of physical safety is a concern for many who are thinking about buying a used car on Craigslist. We have all heard all of the horror stories that pop up in headlines about people responding to an advertisement and getting robbed. While this is an issue from time to time, you are just as likely to encounter a similar issue answering a news paper classified ad.
A little bit of common sense goes a long way when it comes to safely buying a car on craigslist. People often put their common sense aside when shopping around. There are a few things that you can do to help prevent running into such a problem.
Craigslist Car Buying Safety Tips
• Travel with a friend. There is always better safety in numbers when two or more people answer an ad.
• Meet with the seller in a public area. The chances of you having a problem are greatly reduced if you meet in a public place.
• Check out the person before you meet with them. Get their name and see if you can find out any information about them on the internet. You may be surprised with the information that is available online. Google their phone number.
• Pack your heat. For safety measures, it’s always a good idea to carry some means of self defense. While the odds of having to use your personal protection are slim to none, it is a great safety precaution.
Safely Buying an Automobile That Runs
Other question whether or not it is safe to purchase a used car from an individual in terms of not ending up with a real clunker. The truth is, you never know what you are going to get when you buy a used car. This is even true when it comes to buying new. Don’t let this keep you from getting a really great deal. Use you best judgment of character to determine if the person you are dealing with is of questionable moral character. Here are a few other things that you can do to ensure that you don’t end up with a lemon.
Buying a Car Free From Issues
• Pull a Carfax report. These reports are fairly inexpensive and are well worth the money. You may be surprised with what you find.
• Have your mechanic check out the car that you are about to purchase. There may be some hidden problems that you don’t know about. A good inspection can uncover these problems.
• Use some common sense. Common sense is all too uncommon these days. Use what you got.
• Purchase an extended vehicle warranty. A warranty for even as little as 3 months is better than nothing. A simple 3 month warranty can cost as little as $200 and is money well spent.
However you define safe, the answer to the question is yes it is possible to safely buy a car on Craigslist. Take this advice and you will likely experience no problems and be yet another happy used car buyer.