Purchasing a used car from a private seller requires that you take on somewhat of a complicated task of searching, selecting, negotiating and closing the deal. Purchasing Craigslist used cars requires a bit of skill and know-how. Craigslist cars are a great alternative to purchasing new and can save thousands of dollars. Here are 10 tips to remember when shopping for Craigslist cars.
1. Shop for a vehicle that is at least two years old. Most vehicles have a significant loss of value within the first couple of years of ownership. By purchasing a vehicle that is at least two years old, the original owner of the vehicle will pay the initial depreciation cost while you enjoy a great used vehicle at a deeply discounted price.
2. Do not automatically disqualify a vehicle because it has slightly higher mileage. A few years back, vehicles only lasted a little over 100,000 miles. With advancements in technology and more efficient vehicle systems, vehicles are lasting even longer these days. Many vehicles surpassed 200,000 miles before having major mechanical failure.
3. Be sure to perform a vehicle history report. A vehicle history report such as the one offered at carfax.com only cost a few dollars and can save you hundreds of dollars in the future by making you aware of vehicle problems such as previous flooding or accidents.
4. Bring along a friend or family member who has automotive knowledge to help you choose a vehicle. If you know nothing about how a vehicle operates you are going to have a difficult time choosing a sound vehicle. A friend who has basic automotive knowledge can be a great resource when shopping for a used vehicle.
5. Shop around and look at several different vehicles before making a selection. By shopping around, you can get a good idea of what is available and how prices compare from one vehicle to another. By knowing when a vehicle is worth, you will less likely pay too much for a vehicle.
6. Be sure to take your vehicle on a long test drive. Some problems do not present themselves until after the vehicle has been running for several minutes. Take the vehicle through stop and go traffic and also up to highway speeds. Take note of any questionable sounds that the vehicle makes.
7. Before making a purchase decision, have the vehicle inspected by a professional auto mechanic with several years of experience. A simple vehicle inspection can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars in future repairs. You wouldn’t purchase a house without first having an inspection, so why purchase a vehicle without first having it inspected?
8. Be sure to have the title notarized by a public notary before handing over any cash. There should be several notaries available in your area that will notarize your title for around five dollars. When purchasing a vehicle, do not fail to have the title notarized.
9. Avoid scams on Craigslist. There are dozens of different ways to become a victim of a Craigslist scam. Never wire any one money or offer to cash a check and send excess money back to the seller. These scams have been around for many years and will continue to occur. Read this article on safely purchasing a vehicle on Craigslist.
10. Brush up on your negotiation skills. Being a good negotiator can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars on your next vehicle purchase. Even if you are not a great negotiator, you can still get a great deal following some of the basic rules of negotiation.
Craigslist cars allow just about anyone to purchase a great vehicle at an affordable price. Craigslist used cars can be purchased at a fraction of the cost of a new car and still provide many years of reliable transportation.